Sunday, November 16, 2008

*dies*

And you all probably think that I've just finished Midnight Sun: WRONG!

Forbidden Fruit

Chapter 1
Awakened

I drifted out of my sleep. My eyes were closed, letting dappled sunlight fall on my eyelids. There was someone in the room crooning softly and a small infant giggling. The person had a deep, rich voice – I knew it well. That voice always made my heart quicken. I opened my eyes, almost blinded by the intense light.
There was my darling love, crooning over a child that was half of me and half of him. I strained to hear exactly what eh was saying.
“Aren’t you beautiful, Eliza?” he said in a soft ding-song voice. “You inherited you Mama’s best features: her eyes are the same dazzling blue as yours, my Eliza. Come, look, let’s see just how you are like your mother.” He placed his hands gently around the little girl’s stomach. She giggled with delight. My love rubbed his nose softly against my little daughter’s.
“See,” he whispered. “You even have her laugh.” He took her in his arms and turned towards me, his lips nuzzling into her cheek playfully. Then he saw me. I think his mouth fell open.
“I’m sorry, beloved Eliza,” he said, putting her back into her crib. “Your mother is too beautiful.”
He was at my side in three long steps. He sat at the edge of my bed and placed his hands on either side of my face. He gently leaned towards me and kissed my forehead.
After he had kissed my forehead, he stayed close, his fingers smoothing my hair. I reached my fingers into his long black hair and brought his face close. I looked deep into his blue-grey eyes. I touched my nose to his.
“Deon,” I whispered. He grinned wildly at me.
“I thought you’d never say that again,” he whispered touching my lips. “What is it, my beautiful wife?” I smiled.
“Only you can say that, love,” I replied. “I want nothing but to see you and our daughter in my arms.” Deon bent lower and kissed me until I was breathless. He kissed me again and again. He showed no intention of stopping until he heard little whimpers from our daughter’s crib.
“Eliza, you can’t stand all the attention on your mother, can you?” Deon said, relinquishing his hold on me. He picked her up and placed her in my arms. He slid under the covers and wound his arms around us.
I knew how we must look: a baby with rosy cheeks and a full head of black hair ever for her young age; all framing sparkling blue eyes and thick black lashes. A mother with her black hair unadorned in a black braid, looking particularly plain, since she had once been amongst the courts; a man; a father, his blue-grey eyes caressing the two upon which he smiled.
I marveled at how perfectly we all fit. I was the perfect shape to fit Eliza in my arms with my head tucked beneath Deon’s chin. We fit together perfectly.
I heard footsteps and then there was a knocking at out door. I silently said thanks that I was dressed. Deon kissed my cheek.
“I would not be able to let you go if I didn’t know I could have you tonight,” he whispered, his grin widening.
He stood and opened the door.
“Brother Cairn,” he greeted, grasping a man – my old friend – into a tight hug.
“Deon,” Cairn replied. “Is Shamnal awake?”
“Why?” Deon asked, his voice turning to steel.
“She is to meet someone, Abbess’s orders,” Cairn said quietly. “I also have a message from the Abbess for Shamnal.” Cairn breathed. “Is she awake?”
“Indeed I am,” I said from my place on the bed. “How are you, Cairn? Who is it that I am supposed to meet?” Cairn hesitated at the door; Deon grabbed the shoulder of his robe and pulled him into the room. He was followed by a priestess in a bright yellow robe.
Cairn came close, hugging me.
“I am well, Shamnal,” he said quietly. He looked at the ground and his cheeks flushed.
“Who is your friend?” I asked nodding toward the yellow-robed girl.
“Oh,” Cairn said, he looked upon the priestess with obvious affection. “This is Gabri – Priestess Gabri.”
The girl blushed and came forward.
“A pleasure,” I said, smiling. Eliza squirmed. “Gabri, come. My daughter craves attention.”
Gabri came and sat next to me on the bed, taking Eliza from my arms, rocking and humming to her.
“You have such a beautiful child,” she whispered. I reached over and brushed my finger against Eliza’s rosy pink cheeks.
“Thank you, Gabri,” I said quietly. Gabri returned my now sleeping daughter to my arms. Gabri stood.
“I think we will be leaving now,” she said firmly. “It has been so good to meet you, Shamnal.”
“And I, you,” I said smiling.
They were in the doorway when Gabri turned to Cairn and nodded. Cairn reddened and turned back towards me.
“I’m sorry, I almost forgot!” he exclaimed. He rushed towards me and slipped a piece of parchement between my fingers. “From the Abbess.”
Cairn left; his eyes only for Gabri. Deon closed the door an placed Eliza in her crib. Our baby slept so peacefully. Deon returned to me, wrapping his arms around my now slender waist.
“What’s the note say?” he asked. I silently unfolded it.
“I have no idea,” I replied. “Would you do the honors?” I handed him the paper to read. He took it and skimmed it, his brows furring.
“All it says is: What do you think?” Deon said confused. “It’s signed by the abbess.”
“I think I know,” I said thoughtfully. Deon wrapped his arms around me and buried his face in my neck. My skin tingled where he kissed me.
“Are you going to enlighten me?” he asked; his voice muffled. I lifted his hair away from his face and brushed his cheek.
“The Abbess is wondering if Gabri is a good match for Cairn.” I said quietly. “What do you think?” Deon shifted so that I was huddled into his chest and his cheek brushed against mine.
“I don’t know,” he said honestly. “But the Abbess was asking you not me. Nothing I say counts here.”
“But it does, my love,” I pointed out. “You are the other half of me. I cannot make a decision without listening to all of me.”
“In that case,” Deon said teasing, “I have to listen to my other half’s opinion too.” I bit my lip thoughtfully.
“I think it would be a good match,” I said. Then I laughed. “He has an obvious affection for her. And she is quiet and knows that she can’t everything. I’d like to see how she interacts with Cairn, thought.”
“Mrs. Shamnal Matchmaker,” Deon murmured. I smiled.
We spent the rest of the day entwined in each other’s arms – sometimes our daughter was in my arms; sometimes sleeping in her crib. We laughed softly and crooned in inaudible tones. Before the sun set, a messenger came, the Abbess wished to have dinner with me. Deon helped me dress into an elegant, midnight blue dress and a black shawl.
When the time came for me to leave, Deon kissed me. He took Eliza from my arms and I let her go reluctantly kissing her cheek.
“I will miss you,” I murmured. “After awakening, you can hardly blame me for not wanting to leave.”
Deon smiled, “I know, but do your duty. The Abbess has done much for us.”
“I wish, Deon, that just one you would not call your mother the Abbess,” I said exasperated. “She asks you not to and she is your mother.”
“My love, my mother never raised me, she admits so herself,” Deon replied. “She knows I call her the Abbess only because I never knew her as a mother.”
“I lifted my hands in defeat, “I will not fight over it. It just saddens me you do not acknowledge her my her real title. Yes, she serves the goddess, but she also put a lot of effort into finding you a suitable home. Without that home I may never have met you, love,”
Deon kissed the palms of my raised hands. “I will consider it for your benefit, my love. Now, go, before you are late.”

I did another of my customary unexpected gestures. I took Deon’s hand. He kissed mine and I, in return, kissed his. I left, with Deon watching from the doorway and Eliza in his arms.
My childhood, spent within these walls. These walls had frightened me before. Now I saw the life that resided there: moss, spiders, insects. From the most invaluable creature to the young priestesses flitting her in and there in their yellow robes. Walking down the frozen halls, I had only one thought: There was life every where.


You KNOW you love me!


All my love,

Asiat

6 comments:

Olivia Krišková said...

*goes into sugar shock from the sweetness* : ) Yes, we love u Tai..and Deon! : ) Ha, wow I don't think it could have been possible for you to put one more "my love" in there!

Asiat Averas said...

there's more my love's and you are so beautiful's and i can't believe your mine's where that came from : ) chapter 3,4,5... you JUST WAIT!

All my love,

Asiat

Vortican said...

Super-Romantic!
Hopefully some of those spiders on the wall will explode in the next chapter! or maybe they will grow to giganticness and Deon and Shamnel will have to fight them off. Meanwhile Gabri dramtically rescues Cairn while he professes his love for her!
...I digress (into action!)

Vortican said...

Getting back on subject...
You create a really interesting mood here. Shamnal and Deon are all lovey-dovey, but there is an underlying sense of tension. You get the feeling that something is not quite right from the way Deon reacts to Cairn and the way Shamnal says the walls used to be so frightening to her. For their sake, I hope everything is OK from now on!

Vortican said...

One last thing...
Is baby Eliza, the same person who will grow up to meet Agar? (rar *o*)

Asiat Averas said...

on the first matter, there is a reason chapters 3,4, and 5 are called war, treaty and morning.

secondly, there is a difference between Elise and Eliza.

And no, the spider's stay the same size.

All my love,

Asiat

hey, cherrios - smile!