Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Forbidden Fruit

FYI: I cried writing this...

Forbidden Fruit

Chapter 1 Lost Memories

SHAMNAL opened her eyes. Sunlight flooded the room, how long was she asleep? Shamnal looked at the willow tree outside her window. Her eyes looked towards her hand; somehow she just needed to look at her hand. Snippets of her memory flooded back to her...

Being in Deon's warm arms...

Him slipping a ring on her finger...

Her saying "I do"...

Them being married...

And then, a nightmare coming alive, though Shamnal could not remember what sort of nightmare...

But that was all she could remember. She could not remember them meeting, nor the many things that had made them bind together and fall in love. She knew that the memories were there somewhere, but she could not reach them. Shamnal struggled to get up, but her usual strength eluded her. Where was Deon? Where was she?
The door of her white-walled prison opened. Deon walked in and saw her awake, lying there and looking like she was in a horrid mood. Shamnal smiled as tears sprang into her eyes; as Deon rushed to the side of her bed lifting her in his arms and kissing her lips.
"I thought I'd lost you forever," Deon said smiling through his tears.
"I thought I'd lost myself, too," Shamnal whispered. "I thought I'd lost you, Deon." She said quietly, "I don't remember anything."
"Nothing, dearest?" Deon asked, his eyes filled with concern.
"Nothing," Shamnal said shaking her head slightly. "Well, I remember tiny scenes, but nothing more. I don't even remember how we met."

DEON left her side for a moment, reached in the drawer of a small chest, and returned to her. For a second, he seemed undecided; but he slipped under the warm covers and wrapped his arms around her. He kissed her neck; entwined his legs around hers; pulled her close to him.
"Remember this," he whispered in her ear.
"I will," Shamnal said, tears streaming down her cheeks. "Forever."

THEY lay where they were for a moment. Deon released his grip on Shamnal and took her hand, squeezing it.
"I think I've something to help you remember," he said quietly. He slowly placed a small book in her hands.
Shamnal smiled and opened the book, filling through its pages; but she could not read any of it. The ink lines on the pages were all a blur. Shamnal threw the book down on her lap and hid her face her hands, sobbing.
"What's the matter?" Deon asked, taking her into his arms onve more.
"I can't read any of it," Shamnal sobbed. "It's all a blur; a mess of ink."
Deon took her face in his hands and looked into her muddy hazel eyes, "I'll read it to you."

MORE sobs racked her frame. Deon would do anything for her, even if she did not even remember them. How could he still love her when she did not even remember what they had been through? Deon brushed away her tears with his thumb. Shamnal looked down. He lifted her chin, kissed her lips.
"Where shall I start, Shamnal?" he asked sweetly, saying her name as if it were a secret that only they knew.
"Start when we met," Shamnal replied. "Deon, I don't remember much, but I remember you always being there. Thank you."
"That is what husbands are for, dearest," Deon said, kissing her.

and on a spur of the romance...

I will watch you in the darkness...
through the midnight storm...
watch as all your silent dreams...
show and take form...

Much love,
Asiat Averas.

1 comment:

Tabitha said...

wow i love it!! It reminds me of a story i read a while ago...but better

hey, cherrios - smile!