Wednesday, April 29, 2009

MORE, MORE, MORE (the old comcast commercial...)

            I flipped open my phone. Eighteen new voicemails. I listened to them. Sixteen were from Adyin, telling me he was sorry and, then, very worried about my disappearance, and two were from my father. My father – telling me that he was disappointed that I'd run off and I'd get a nice lecture for this. I flipped down in my contacts – to Adyin. I pressed send.

 

            He picked up after one ring, "Tess? Honey, are you alright? I'm so sorry, so, so sorry."

            "Shut up," I said softly. "I've got to talk. I'm in Russia. Mr. Demidov's associates have Tonia; Adam and I just jumped on a plane. I'm so sorry. You don't have anything to be sorry for, Adyin. I – I –"

            "You just feel like you've got to go through the hard stuff alone," he whispered. "Like you don't need help, even when you do. You don't like or want to need anyone – but needing and wanting someone is human nature. Tess, I love you, but – but – sometimes I just want to tell you that you can't do everything by yourself."

            "I'm sorry," I said, choking back a sob. "I just don't want anyone else getting hurt. I love you too much."

            "But I need to protect you, Tess," he smiled. "That's all I'm going to say. How's it coming along with Antonia?"

            "I don't know – they're getting weather appropriate clothing for us now."

            "Ah," he sighed. "Wouldn't they just let you freeze?"

            "Death and murder isn't the object, it's getting something that the Firebird has."

            "Oh, thank God," Adyin breathed. "You will be careful, won't you, Tess?"

            "I'll be as careful as I can, Adyin," I smiled. "I'm going to go see if I can get through to Tonia. I love you."

            "I love you too, darling," he whispered. "Never forget that."

            "How could I forget?" I said with a laugh. He hung up. I felt sure that things would be okay. If I got fired, Adyin would take care of me. He loved me. It was surprising just how simple things were in the whole web of love. I realized that I wasn't your typical person in love – people claimed that they had that famous love-fire and I didn't but I was so in love.

 

            "Tess, I'm worried, she's not picking up," Adam said quietly. He was staring at his cell phone like it held all the answers in the world.

            "Let me try, Adam," I sad, patting his shoulder. "Don't loose hope, right now that's the only leverage we have."

            "Okay, I'll try."


7 comments:

Vortican said...

I have returned to the comment blog! (Please hold all applause thank you *bows*)

Vortican said...

Returning cell phones to the hostages?! Kinda weird, unless Alex does indeed has a "thing" for Tess, which I think we can all agree that he does ^_~

Vortican said...

I like how Tess has finally acknowledged her feelings for Adyin, different from all the stereotypes but uniquely hers and true just the same. It brings up a point that if you are expecting love to a certain way, you might miss it right in front of your face. (Unless of course you run into a hot supervillian, then I'm not sure what happens *_*)

Vortican said...

Oh Noes!!1!
Why can't Adam get a hold of Tonia? He should try texting ("What?")

Vortican said...

He was staring at his cell phone like it held all the answers in the world.

I like this line, it really sums up all Adam's fear and desperation. He's clinging to whatever might give him an answer, but it totally thrown off when it doesn't come through the way he hoped.

Vortican said...

Now I guess I need to login to my Yahoo since you are currently requiring a personal email for the ending!

Vortican said...

Off the subject, but...
A little over a month to go til Transformers!!!
Wooooo!1! \^o^/

hey, cherrios - smile!