Monday, February 23, 2009

Next Segment!

I stormed off to the back of the plane – where my dad had been – so that no one would follow me.

For a few hours, no one came near me. I grabbed a book and tried to read it, but couldn’t. I tried to listen to music, but couldn’t. I ended up falling asleep. I wasn’t surprised at all when I woke up five minutes before we landed. Tonia had her hand on my arm. I shrugged it off.
“You can’t stay mad at me forever,” she joked. I was so not in the mood for this.
“Want to test that theory?” I said icily. Tonia shook her head.
“What’s wrong, Tess?” she asked worried. Let her worry.
“Tonia, get off my back about it,” I grumbled. I liked holding this grudge. Let Tonia know that sometimes she just got me so mad and that, sometimes, I just couldn’t stand her. Yeah, I was definitely jealous.
“But, Tess…” she started, squeezing my shoulder.
“Leave me alone, Tonia,” I growled. The door to the cabin opened and Adam appeared.
“C’mon, Tess,” he said grabbing my things and putting a gentle arm around my shoulder. “Tess,” he said once we’d gotten into a car; Tonia being in another car with Felix. “Do you want me to talk to Antonia?”
“No,” I said coldly. “I want her to see how much she irks me, Adam. I know I sound selfish and all, but doesn’t Tonia get that she has no reason to be all wild and crazy? She has a life. She’s not stuck doing this sorry job.” I liked this job; it paid well, but really? Who would want to do this for the rest of their lives? “I’m sick and tired of living in Tonia’s shadow because Tonia gets to do all these fun things. I’m sick of it. And I’m sick of never being looked at twice because all the guys are glued to her.”
“I’m sorry,” Adam whispered. “I’m sorry you can’t do what you want because of everything. I’m sorry you don’t get to do anything fun because of you have to worry about your reputation. Really, I am. And – I know Antonia will never take a second glance at me, so, Tess, can I ask you to go on a date with me?” My mouth dropped open. Adam’s family was richer – better – than Adyin’s. And I liked and got on better with Adam.
“I’d be delighted,” I replied surprised. I wondered if he was trying to forget Tonia and thought I could help, but it didn’t really matter. Things felt okay when I was around Adam. And Tonia couldn’t take him away from me. Adam wouldn’t glance at Tonia like Adyin had when he thought I wasn’t looking. I knew I was being petty and selfish and wrong, but Adam was nice and fun and thoughtful. I liked being around him because he didn’t try and kill everyone. He thought about things before he did them. And, most of all, I felt safe when Adam was around.


We arrived at the lodge at fife-thirty. I asked Adam if it was too late to go out, but he said that we could go out as long as we wanted to – and that the lodge had a kitchen so he’d make dinner if he had to. He told me to change into something comfortable and that he’d meet me at six-thirty. I sighed and went up to my room. I took a shower, changed into jeans, did a hasty make up and blow dry job. Satisfied with my appearances, I glanced at my watch: six fifteen. I decided that, in the fifteen minutes I had left, I should probably make a call.

“Hello?” he said quickly. “Is everything alright, Tess?”
“Hi,” I replied. “Its fine here, I just… um… needed to tell you something.”
“Oh,” Adyin said, not sounding very enthusiastic.
“Yeah, um, Adyin, I was just wondering if we could, um – you know, take a break for a while?” I wasn’t even sure he’d understood my “can-we-break-up-so-I-can-go-out-with-another-guy” question.
“Um,” he said, nervously.
“Adyin,” I said smiling. “You don’t have to pretend you haven’t been cheating on me, you know. I don’t care.”
“So it’s over?” he asked.
“Yeah,” I breathed. “It’s over.”
“Did you find someone else?” he asked. I rolled my eyes.
“No, I just talked to someone who made me see that I what I really wanted,” I said simply. In truth it was a whole lot more than that. Adam had made me see that I didn’t want a boyfriend at all. Adam was just a brother. If he thought that I wanted something more than a really good friend, then he was going to get a shocker. Suddenly, for the first time in a long while, things felt alright in every area except Tonia.



Hope you liked it :D :D :D

Asiat

4 comments:

Vortican said...

Now some of the stuff from last post ares staring to make sense! No wonder Tess is currently acting all PMS-ish. Adyin oogling Tonia would cause some bad feeling against both. I hope Tess doesn't hold it against Tonia too long; she can't help being who she is!

Vortican said...

I hafta say, that was kind of a brutal break-up call. Short and to the point! I guess they both sort of knew it was already over.

Vortican said...

My favorite part is at the end. Tess realizes that she doesn't want romance right now (go girl!). Friendship is important and I like how she decides that is exactly where she and Adam stand, although if he has other ideas, she might have trouble down the line! >_<

Vortican said...

Everybody off the Debonaire!! Just checked the response comments. (sure you don't want to use Agar?)

hey, cherrios - smile!