Wednesday, August 19, 2009

>_< Impatience

Allan and I took the bus back to Alice’s house. The police swamped Alice’s porch, house, and yard. But they also created a block around a car, which left soon after we came.
“Hello, Ms. Clare,” a uniformed officer said, putting his hand out. “I’m Chief Cratt. We found the guy who did this to Mrs. Brown, he’s in custody. The only problem is that we need someone to testify that he was there.”
“I’ll testify,” I said.
“Are you sure?” he asked.
“Don’t ask me again, sir,” I touched his shoulder. “If I said I’d do it, I’ll do it.”
“You’ll need protection,” he said.
“I’ll take whatever protection precautions you deem necessary,” I said.
“Okay, you wait over there and I’ll send an officer over,” he said pointing. “You’re aware that you’ll be having an officer in your house from this day till a month after you testify.”
“I have a couch,” I laughed. “Chief, don’t worry about it.”

I watched the Chief walk to various officers and whisper in their ears. Each of them shook their head or just said no. Finally, one of them shrugged his shoulders and started walking over to me.
“Hello, Ms. Clare,” the man said, looking at me with genteel grey eyes. “I’m the policeman who will be protecting you while you’re testifying.”
“I don’t need protecting, Detective,” I said stubbornly. “My son does, but I don’t.”
“Well, then I’m protecting him,” he said, shrugging his shoulders again. “By the way, I’m Detective Jack Stork, Ms. Clare.”
“Kristy Clare,” I said, shaking his hand. “Nice to meet you, Detective. My son’s over there – his name’s Allan; adores policemen, firemen, any kind of public service man, really. You’ll be getting a lot of attention from him, Detective Stork.”
“It will be a pleasure to find someone who like us law enforcement,” Detective Jack said, smiling at me. “And you don’t have to call me Detective Stork. Just call me Jack.” He wasn’t exactly handsome, but he had a nice face; pretty grey eyes; a pretty bashed up nose and all the regular features a young cop seem to have. He wasn’t fat, but he wasn’t a stick either. Seemed like he just had a muscle build.
“Okay then, Jack,” I said. I watched him go over to Allan. He seemed really familiar.

“Hello, sir,” Allan said, looking quite sad.
“Hey there,” Jack replied. “I’m Detective Stork – you can call me Jack though.”
“Does anyone else call you Jack?” Allan asked, only half-curious.
“Naw, not really,” he said. “But you can be a first. What’s your name?”
“Name’s Allan Joshua Clare,” Allan said.
“Well it’s nice to meet you, Allan Joshua Clare,” Jack said, shaking hands with my son. “I’m the policeman protecting you and your mom.”
“Oh,” Allan said. There was a silence and for a second I didn’t want them to talk.
“You know, Allan,” Jack said, taking a sigh and leaning on Alice’s porch steps. “You know, I grew up in the slums. I was dumped in St. Mary’s orphanage.”
“Really?” Allan said. He wasn’t interested at he normally was, but he was listening.
“Yeah, I got adopted by these two old people. They raised me and loved me,” he explained. “My adopted dad was a cop, so I always wanted to be one too.”
“Uh huh,” Allan said. “Mum grew up in St. Mary’s orphanage, Jack.”
“Oh really?” he said looking at me. I don’t know why, but I blushed.
“Yeah, really; thought you were familiar,” I replied. “Allan, you ready to go home?”
“Yeah, mum,” he said. We both stood up, preparing ourselves for a tedious trek home. We grabbed each other’s hands and started out of Alice’s alley way.
“Excuse me, Ms. Clare? You too, Jack,” the police chief said. Jack and I came to stand by the chief. “Ms. Clare, you know you are a witness that needs protecting. And Jack here is the guy protectin’ you right?”
“Right, chief, but my son’s the one who needs protecting, not me,” I said.
“Why’s that?” Chief asked.
“They’ll use my son to get to me, Chief. They won’t touch me,” I said quietly.
“I hope you’ve gotta couch in your living room, because Jack’s not going anywhere till you and your son are safe, Ms. Clare,” he said.
“Now wait a second, Chief,” Jack said. “I don’t want to intrude on Ms. Clare and I don’t have so much as a toothbrush packed!”
“Ms. Clare?” the Chief asked. “It’s up to you, but you need protecting.”
“It’s alright with me; I have toothbrushes at my house,” I said. There wasn’t a whole lot I could do about it now. I had to stay alive to raise Allan. “But if Jack here needs to get his stuff, then I guess you could send another officer with us.”
“Naw,” Jack said. “I’ll give Mercy the key and tell him what to get and where to get it in my apartment, Chief.”
“Okay, it’s settled then,” Chief said. “Bye, Ms. Clare, Allan, Jack.”
“Bye, Chief,” Allan said. Jack and I nodded.

NOW I bet that none of you whooped when the genteel officer with grey eyes came unto this virtual page. :(
<3>

6 comments:

Vortican said...

>_< has become ^o^

Vortican said...

Wow! What an interesting character! Jack Stork was definately worth the wait. I love his general nonchalance about life. The shoulder shrugs, answering "naw", he seems so laid back, but the busted nose and the "genteel grey eyes" suggest an air of mystery or intensity underneath it all.

Vortican said...

Allan's got some of his mom's spunk in addition to his natural sweetness. I love how he sort of stood up to the detective giving his full name and shaking hands!

Vortican said...

Prohibition, detectives, witness protection...is the mob involved with Alice's stabbing?!? Things are getting damgerous in the slums.

Vortican said...

All in all, you must have done alot of research about the 1920s. Everything, including characters, setting, dialogue, and plot, really seems to fit the period. I think it is more difficult to write a fictional story in an actual historical perios because things need to be a certain way (you can just make up fantasy worlds as you go along). Bravo!

Asiat Averas said...

awwww. thank you!!!

Jack is utterly amazing, but actually is a lot cooler (emotionaly) than Kristy. Kristy's lonliness, Alice's stabbing, Allan's lack of saftey and stability all worry Kristy. Jack IS nonchallant. He is gentlemanly, but nevertheless is releatively interesting :P

Allan, oh sweet sweet Allan! He is quite dear to me. His innocence, yet understanding beyond his years, make him a very grown up five year old. And he is SOOOO cute. Can't wait to see who he becomes in the epilogue!!!

Actually, I think the most reasearch I've done is on Jean Harlow, the "Maralyn Monroe" of the times. (the original blonde bombshell...) because, the book takes place either a few days after her death, or a couple months before... I haven't decided yet!!! But I DO know Alice is a fan of Jean Harlow.

The rest comes from previous knowledge of the time period and from the person who inspiried the book :D She helped me create the characters, figure the plot, and made Alice's speakeasy a real place in my mind. I owe it to Lauren!!! lol. and all my blog readers who keep me writing!

<3 A.

hey, cherrios - smile!